May is National Walking Month and Cardiff’s annual Walking Festival is already in full swing so now is a great time to enjoy the numerous health benefits of walking.
Reasons to walk include:
- It makes you feel good, gives you more energy, improves your mood and increases confidence and stamina.
- It reduces stress, helping you relax and sleep better. • It improves your physical health by strengthening your heart, bones and muscles, whilst also helping reduce high blood pressure and improve circulation. Walking can also help to control your weight and assist in the prevention and control of diabetes.
- It gives you a chance to meet other people and can help you feel part of your community.
- It’s free, you can do it anywhere at anytime, almost anyone can do it and you don’t need any special kit.
Whether you walk the dog, walk the children to school, or take a stroll to the shops it’s easy to build walking into your working week. During the working day you could try:
- Take a lunchtime break and go for a walk.
- Make your next meeting outdoors and walk while you talk.
- Take the stairs, not the lift.
- If you have to drive, park further away and walk.
- In an office? Rather than phone or email, go and find the person and talk to them.
There are loads of guided and self-guided walks taking place across the city or if you’d rather head out on your own, why not use your mobile phone to scan the QR codes and follow Bute Park’s one hour Champion Tree Trail, or take the kids on one of the Wildlife Explorer Trails in our parks.
For more information on the Bute Park Champion Tree Trail click here or call into the Bute Park Education Centre and pick up the leaflets.
You can find full details on the Cardiff Walking Festival at: http://www.outdoorcardiff.com/walking-festival/